WELCOME!

pty
Price T. Young
Elementary School

 1501 Sanford St.
Marshall, TX 75671
903-927-8850
903-927-8888 (fax)
Welcome to Price T. Young Elementary School! Our mission is to create an environment where every day is a new day and is safe, loving and student-centered. Students are taught with high expectations for all and molded to have self-confidence and know they are capable individuals. Our vision is to be one of the best performing elementary schools academically, behaviorally and in extra-curricular activities across the state of Texas. This vision will be accomplished by creating students that question everything, aren't afraid of failing, innovative, communicate effectively, and look beyond the present in order to create a future that is better for all.

• Campus Improvement Plan
• School Accountability
• Student Handbook
• Student Code of Conduct
• District Academic Calendar
• Online Lunch Payments
• 
Family Access Portal


 

CALENDAR

RTS AT PTY

Due to the rain, the Neighborhood Walk scheduled for Tuesday, Oct. 16, will be rescheduled. We will post a new date soon.
Parent Conferences at PTY will be held Thursday, Oct. 18, from 1:30-6:00 p.m. Please make an appointment with your child's teacher. Students will be released early at 12:39 p.m. and will have a student holiday on Friday, Oct. 19.
First grade kicked off Fire Prevention Week with a visit from Sparky and his friends at the Marshall Fire Department!
Congratulations to these PTY students for receiving their Accelerated Reader certificates. We are proud of you!
Parents, all students are allowed to wear pink or breast cancer shirts on Fridays during the month of October in support of Breast Cancer Awareness. They MUST wear uniform bottoms unless they have earned their jean pass by meeting their AR/reading weekly goal.
Mrs. Harris' kindergarten class had a visitor today! We were excited to see Sugar and hear that the FireAnt Festival will be Saturday, October 13!

QUICK LINKS

District Calendar
My School Bucks
School Closings
School Menus
Skyward Family
 
 Follow us on
facebook
pt young
 Mr. Price T. Young
was a Marshall educator whose career spanned 45 years in Marshall. The son of Mr. and Mrs. C.H. Young of Oklahoma City, Okla., he was born November 10, 1906, and held degrees from Wiley College and Columbia University. A former Science teacher at Pemberton High School, he became the second Principal of the M.W. Dogan Elementary School from 1949 until 1964, when he became Principal of Pemberton Junior High School. He remained Principal at Pemberton Junior High until his death in 1975. All of the schools where Mr. Young served in his career in Marshall served African-American children on the west side of Marshall. Mr. Young was active in professional, civic and church organizations, and his influence extended beyond local education matters through his service on the board of Region 7 Education Service Center. He passed away on March 8, 1975, and his local esteem was such that Pemberton Junior High -- where he was still serving as Principal -- was renamed for him following his death. Mr. Young and his wife, Jewel, are buried in Marshall.
pty msPrice. T. Young Junior High originally housed students in grades 7-8 that formerly attended Pemberton High School. In 1971, Pemberton Junior High was made into an all-seventh grade school. The school was renamed following the death of Mr. Young, who was serving as Principal, in 1975. When MISD was reorganized in 1981, Price T. Young became one of two middle schools in MISD serving students in grades 5-6 and was renamed Price T. Young Middle School. The school was closed and the original building demolished following the opening of Price T. Young Elementary School on the current site, as part of MISD's Legacy 2017 building program.

pty: building a legacy

ptyPRICE T. YOUNG ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
The new Price T. Young Elementary School opened in August of 2017 as one of three new elementary schools and a renovated facility to serve Marshall ISD students in grades K-5. The project was part of the Legacy 2017 building program born out of the passage of a $109,200,000.00 bond issue approved by MISD voters in May 2015. The new school was constructed on the site of the old Price T. Young Middle School, which was closed following the 2016-2017 school year with the old building set to be demolished after the opening of the new school. Huckabee, Inc., served as the architect for the Legacy 2017 building program, with WRL General Contractors, Ltd., serving as the general contractor for PTY Elementary. Project Manager for the Legacy 2017 building program was Lockwood, Andrews & Newnam, Inc. (LAN), of Houston, Texas.

jh mooreJ.H. MOORE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
In 1902, Professor J.H. Moore secured permission from the school board to organize an elementary school in the northwest part of Marshall. Classes were held on the lower floor of the Odd Fellows Hall on West Grand Avenue. A brick building, known as Park Elementary, opened January 5, 1903. Mr. Moore remained as Principal until 1925, when he was transferred to Hillside School and was succeeded by L.E. Thompson. Under Mr. Thompson, a new auditorium, two additional classrooms and four more rooms were added to the main building. Upon Mr. Thompson's retirement in 1950, P.E. Moon was transferred from Pemberton High School to serve as Principal of Park. He remained until it closed in 1954, at which time students were transferred to a new campus. During the administration of Superintendent V.H. Hackney, an expansion program for Marshall Public Schools began. As a result, in 1953 a new site was purchased at Norwood and Cooper streets, and a school building was erected. The name J.H. Moore Elementary was selected because of Mr. Moore's humanitarian acts during 48 years as an educator. The new school opened September 12, 1954. J.H. Moore Elementary served students in grades K-4 until the 2016-2017 school year, when the school was closed and consolidated into the new Price T. Young Elementary as part of the MISD Legacy 2017 building program.

gwcGEORGE WASHINGTON CARVER ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
George Washington Carver Elementary School, located on Holland Street just west of Price T. Young Elementary, began holding classes on September 2, 1959, when students were transferred from New Town Elementary School. New Town had been closed in 1949, reopened in 1950 to accept students from county schools, and closed again in 1959. The first Principal at Carver, Mr. O. Ivan White, supervised 14 classroom teachers and a music teacher in grades 1-7. In the spring of 1969, the school was to be renovated for use as an educational building for central staff but those plans were abandoned when Stephen F. Austin Elementary School burned in the summer of 1969. The school was named Austin/Carver Elementary School after the fire, and in 1970 was paired with Dogan Elementary School with grades 1-3 attending Austin/Carver and 4-6 attending Dogan. After a reorganization of MISD schools in 1981, "Austin" was dropped from the school's name and was once again known as G.W. Carver Elementary School. At that time, Carver was paired with William B. Travis Elementary School and began housing grades 3-4, Early Childhood, and Special Education. In 1989-90, the school was reorganized as Carver Academy, a magnet school attracting academically-gifted and artistically-talented students in grades 1-4 from across the city. Children in the immediate neighborhood continued to attend Carver in the regular program. In 1997-98, the magnet school concept was discontinued and the program for gifted students returned to individual MISD campuses. Carver Elementary was closed following the end of the 2016-2017 school year, when it consolidated into the new Price T. Young Elementary school as part of MISD's Legacy 2017 building program.

See more of our Areas of Legacy commemorated in our new Price T. Young Elementary School here.
together

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2018 West Corporation. All rights reserved.