Park Hallway

park Park School was an early elementary school for African-American children in Marshall, located at 600 Park Street.

In 1902, local educator J.H. Moore was authorized by the school board to organize an elementary school for northwest Marshall. Classes began in the Odd Fellows Hall on West Grand Avenue before moving to a new brick building on Park Street on Jan. 5, 1903.

In 1910, water fountains were installed at Park School through the efforts of Mr. Moore. These were the first water fountains installed in Marshall schools. In 1919, the city’s first school playground was erected at Park School. Early curriculum at the school included clay modeling, needle work, public school music and physical education.

Mr. Moore served as principal at Park School for 22 years and was succeeded by L.E. Thompson. During Thompson’s leadership, two additional classrooms, an auditorium, and four more rooms were added. P. E. Moon became the third principal in 1950, remaining there until the school was closed in 1954.

A new campus, named J.H. Moore Elementary, opened on September 12, 195, at the corner of Norwood and Cooper streets. This new school replaced Park Elementary, and the old campus was torn down and no longer exists.

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2020 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.